The only thing that could spoil the most favorite time of the year for us is falling sick. Winter is all about festivities and cheer, and since the rest of the year is stress-filled and problem-plagued already, why not maximize your health despite the chills? If you begin to feel under the weather, visit AFC Urgent Care Burlington for treatment. We can help treat many different winter illnesses when you need it most.
To help you stay healthy all through the winter season, we have some health tips for you.
Foods to eat
Having a healthy diet can help you feel good inside and out. The best foods for health in winters include:
- Lots of vegetables and fruits daily.
- Spend time outdoors during the day. Absorb all the vitamin D goodness of the sun.
- Drinks plenty of water and avoid alcohol and caffeinated drinks.
- Have porridge breakfast more often and top with seasonal fruits like dates, cranberries, pears, etc.
- Eat vitamin C rich foods.
- Have plenty of spinach and other rich zinc sources
- Consume more iron, such as leafy greens, lentils, a healthy portion of red meat, etc.
- Increase your cheese, eggs, and fish intake.
- Refrain from sugar foods. Opt for more soups and sweet root vegetables.
As tempting as it is to sleep in all through the chilly winter days, your days should be more active. A healthy and winter-focused exercise regime comes to mind here, and we must share it with you.
The ideal workouts for winter include:
- Cross country skiing
- Ice skating
- Shoveling snow
- Raking leaves
- Running or jogging
- Hiking or brisk walking
We bet you won’t regret doing any of these, except perhaps shoveling snow, but a clear driveway will be worth the effort, we promise. If these sound like odd exercising ideas, here is why they work well in the winters:
- You do not have to deal with heat and humidity
- You can absorb a lot of sunlight through these activities
- You get the ideal workout sessions in cold weather
- You boost your immunity, especially during the flu and cold season.
Ways to Avoid Illness
When you see others in flowing health during winters while you have a runny nose and a sore throat, you may wonder what their secret is. In truth, it is not a secret but smart living that keeps one healthy in winters.
The best way to avoid illness is to:
- Eat tons of vegetables, especially the green ones.
- Avoid alcohol
- Sleep well
- Keep moving and stay active with a sound exercise routine.
- Stay hydrated-drink lots of water.
- Drink green tea- the high antioxidant levels in it help keep illnesses away while promoting good health. Also, the lowered cardiovascular risks and blood pressure are a bonus.
- Make your meals colorful-this way. You will remember to add just the right vegetables and fruits as well as tons of nutrients to your plate.